Are you ready to be in charge of a supply chain?
We know the pilot is in charge of an airplane, but only after many hours in a flight simulator.
“You don’t just jump into a fighter jet to tear around the sky before making a spectacular crash landing.”
– Timon Martin, Flight Simulation Guru
Put your team into a business simulation!
Gain an intense understanding of complex relationships, sharpen your skills, tear down functional silos, learn what works, and what does not work – without crashing a real business.
“Those who learn through simulation have an advantage over those who make decisions without a sound frame of reference.”
– Mike Loughrin, Business Simulation Guru
What’s this about?
This student case competition has teams competing against each other using the online business simulation tool called The Fresh Connection.
Each team member is responsible for one functional area such as Sales, Operations, Procurement, Supply Chain, or Project Management. The simulation involves each person making dozens of decisions on how best to manage their area. Examples include negotiating with customers, selecting suppliers, buying new equipment, and setting inventory planning parameters.
The best teams will collaborate on a business strategy, ensure all functional disciplines are aligned, and achieve the best performance in terms of ROI for their company. Some teams may not achieve alignment, will struggle making decisions, and drive their bus over the cliff!
Read more about The Fresh Connection.
“The Fresh Connection business simulation is a great way to retain and learn the impact of your decisions in a no risk environment.”
– Larry Simon, Board of Directors, APICS Fox River
Experience the power of a business simulation!
Are you and your colleagues ready to:
- Prove you are at the top of your game in terms of knowing how to align a supply chain from suppliers to customers?
- Demonstrate you have what it takes to collaborate to develop a strategy and execute the changes required to succeed?
- Convince the board of directors you are the best leadership team and deserve to win the competition?
If you answered yes, then the 2021 Student Case Competition is an ideal means for you to demonstrate your expertise and experience the best business simulation in the galaxy.
If you answered no, then now is the time to examine why you are going to school!
“The management of a network of interconnected organizations engaged in the provision of product and service packages required by the ultimate consumer.”
How does it work?
- The competition will involve 5 rounds, with each round opening up more decisions for each person to make
- Each team will have telephone, email, and online support from a certified facilitator for The Fresh Connection
- The cost for teams in Illinois will be paid by APICS Chicago and APICS Fox River
- The cost for teams in Colorado will be paid by APICS Northern Colorado
- For others, the cost is $250.00 per team
Other key dates:
- February 3 – Submit your team roster by 6:00 PM CT
- February 5 – Create account for using The Fresh Connection before 10:00 AM CT
- February 5 – Round 1 begins at 10:00 AM CT
- February 9 – Optional Zoom meeting for questions and answers at 12:00 PM (noon) CT
- February 9 – Round 1 ends at 9:00 PM CT
- February 13 – Round 2 ends at 9:00 PM CT
- February 17 – Round 3 ends at 9:00 PM CT
- February 21 – Round 4 ends at 9:00 PM CT
- The top 8 teams move to the finals
- February 24 – Round 5 begins at 5:00 PM CT
- February 24 – Round 5 ends at 6:00 PM CT
- February 24 – Presentation to the board of directors at 7:00 PM CT
- February 26 – Announcement of the winners at 12:00 PM (noon) CT
How do we win?
Teams will be ranked based on 2 categories:
- The return on investment you generate for the company modeled in the simulation
- Your final report to the board of directors describing your achievements as a great leadership team
Bragging rights as being “the best of the best” and a $500 grand prize will be awarded to the team who obtains the highest score – a combination of return on investment and presentation quality.
Prizes will also be awarded to other top performers.
All participants will receive admission to an online Certified Six Sigma Yellow Belt class.
“The Fresh Connection is a great learning tool which makes you think like an executive.
You must link supply chain strategy to the business strategy and deal with the financial ramifications of your decisions.”
– Paul Vanderspek, Clinical Faculty Supply Chain Management at Colorado State University
What will it take?
The time investment will vary by team, but a reasonable estimate involves:
- 60 minutes for the kick-off webinar on February 5th
- 120 minutes for each of rounds 1 through 4
- 60 minutes for round 5 – pressure cooker round
- 60 minutes for presentations to the board of directors on February xx
- Optional conference call with your facilitator which could run up to 30 minutes per round
- 60 minutes for the online awards ceremony on February 26th
- One team member should invest an additional 30 minutes per round to coordinate and prepare for meetings
Caution 1: The Fresh Connection can be an addicting way to learn. Of course, you can let your competitive spirit soar. We will not stop you from having fun by spending extra time analyzing your results, collaborating with your colleagues, and making the right decisions.
Caution 2: You and your team will be experiencing the power of alignment. Don’t miss the opportunity to talk about how you can take this knowledge to any organization.