Eliminate Waste and Improve Member Satisfaction
“Working with Kristina Bozzer and Sasha Stewart on our first lean improvement project was a spectacular experience. By following the systematic approach from the Certified Lean Master (CLM) program, we were able to collaborate with our members to develop a powerful new benefit called “Moxie in Motion.” We are all thrilled with how this new benefit provides a platform for our most successful members to share how Moxie has helped them achieve their goals.”
– Katy Piotrowski, CEO, Career Solutions Group
The Moxie Exchange Movement is a community of women who strive to grow as individuals by cultivating their leadership skills and sharing tools and ideas incorporated into dynamic learning events available only to members.
Designed by Maureen Berkner Boyt, Moxie also offers custom corporate programs, local chapters, and executive coaching to guide members toward their personal goals.
The Moxie Exchange Movement has chapters all across the United States with the flagship chapter in Northern Colorado. Katy Piotrowski is the executive of this chapter.
Although the Northern Colorado chapter is thriving with new members via word of mouth and community reputation, the leadership team felt they could do better with membership retention and wanted to investigate ways to improve the membership value proposition.
Katy challenged Kristina Bozzer and Sasha Stewart to analyze the monthly Moxie meeting to understand what features provided the greatest benefits and identify those that needed to be adjusted or eliminated.
The goal was to raise satisfaction for the most important benefit as a means to increase membership retention.
Kristina and Sasha were enrolled in the Certified Lean Master (CLM) program being offered by Transformance Advisors and APICS Northern Colorado. The project oriented structure of the CLM program provided an ideal means to address the challenge that Moxie wanted to address.
By leveraging the CLM program, Kristina and Sasha worked with Katy to guide a team of Moxie leaders and members through a series of Kaizen Blitz events. The key milestones included:
- Created a current state value stream map that identified each activity taking place during the 3 hour monthly meeting. The team verified the map by attending one of the monthly meetings.
- Identified the waste and ranked the opportunities for improving the value received during each activity.
- Conducted “no holds barred” discussions with current and former members to specify value in terms of member needs and desires.
- Created a future state value stream map that promoted greater interaction between members.
- Conducted a gap analysis and created an action plan to close the gaps between the current state and future state.
Adjustments to the agenda have increased the amount of networking for all members. This has improved the ability for new members to meet existing members and quickly feel welcomed to the organization.
A new benefit called “Moxie in Motion.” provides a platform for the most successful members to share how Moxie has helped them achieve their goals,
A number of additional improvements are being investigated. These include having local members share their success stories and using techniques that stimulate a highly collaborative atmosphere.